Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Best Darned Chocolate Crinkles EVER


Yes, you are reading that correctly.

Every year for the Christmas season, I bake up a storm. With all the powdered sugar I use up between all my sugar cookies and my chocolate crinkles, I am not surprised that my kitchen does actually look as though a snow storm hit!

My mom used to bake a lot when I was growing up, and she'd make chocolate crinkles. Every Christmas without fail, there were chocolate crinkles scattered on her giant platters, amongst all the other decadent candies, breads, cookies, and various assortments of other confections. Of all, these were my absolute favorite and still are.

I don't actually know the exact recipe she used though, but I did find a Betty Crocker version that works wonderfully, albeit a few modifications that I like to make (such as using coffee to intensify the bold cocoa flavor) and adding more vanilla to give a nice hue of dreamy chocolate flavor.


Ingredients
1/2 c vegetable oil
4 oz unsweetened baker's chocolate
2 c sugar
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1/4 c strong black coffee - cold
2 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 c powdered sugar

Instructions
1. Mix oil, melted and cooled chocolate, sugar, cold coffee, and vanilla together.
2. Add in your eggs, one at a time to allow for even mixing.
3. Add flour, baking powder, and salt gradually. Mixture should form a ball in bowl. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours.

4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper (or grease sheets evenly).
6. Use a small spoon to scoop out balls of dough. Roll into balls about the size of golf balls and drop into a small bowl of powdered sugar. The balls should look like the following:

7. Place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes. 
8. Immediately transfer baked cookies to cooling racks. 
9. Take caution - these are addicting little treats that are best served with hot cocoa or steamed milk.


These are so so good! You will not be disappointed.

If you want to try some different intensities of chocolate oomph, I recommend trying it with semi-sweet chocolate - 2 oz semi-sweet, and 2 oz unsweetened. Or, if you want to die from chocolate over-load, try milk chocolate instead (but reduce the amount of sugar used and add a little extra flour instead).

Let me know what you think and if there are any other types of yummy recipes you'd like to see, or any fun DIY projects.

Muah!

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment