Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Autumn Inspired Dish: Pumpkin Soup

Aside from making dozens of pumpkin pies, breads, and cakes, pumpkins can also be used in savory dishes as well. One of them is soup or chowder (as my version is thicker)! Have you ever tried pumpkin soup? I will admit that this video is my first EVER attempt at making it, and I have to say that I really do like it...it has a lovely thick and creamy consistency, and the flavors give it a very exotic, yet down-to-earth taste.

My inspiration recipe came from a book called Five-A-Day: Fruit & Vegetable Cookbook, by Kate Whiteman, Maggie Mathew, and Christine Ingram. I bought this book a few years ago as it looked like a great book for getting back into a healthy eating habit, and what better way to do that than to find inspiration in a pretty cookbook?

I used their version of the pumpkin soup recipe as a base for mine, but as I went along, I decided to add in my own ingredients, substitutions, and changed it around a bit. I am very pleased with how this turned out! It has such a lovely, light flavor of pumpkin, mixed in with the very woody nutmeg flavor, and a creamy semisweet milk based broth. So delicious!

Here's the video tutorial:



Here are all the ingredients for MY version of the pumpkin soup recipe:

1-2 Tbs. (15-24 mL) olive oil (or sunflower, canola, etc.)
1 Tbs. (15 mL) butter
Half of a medium-sized sweet onion
 Saute onions.

Approx. 3/4 lb-1 lb (150-225 g) Yukon Gold potato (or a soft, sweet variety)
Approx. 1 lb (450 g) of a sweet potato, cubed
1-1 1/2 cups (240-360 mL) of cooked, pureed pumpkin
Cook potatoes and pumpkin.

2 cups (475 mL) water with 4 Tbs (60 mL) white vinegar
Add as a broth.
Seasoning:
Nutmeg (to taste)
1 tsp. (5 mL) thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste
Tabasco sauce to taste
*optional* 
1 cup (240 mL) pureed acorn squash with butter, olive oil, and stevia (no recipe, just done by taste)
Puree everything in a food processor or blender. 

2 Tbs. (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
1 pint (2 cups)(600mL) milk (1% or higher is best for creamier texture/flavor)
Last of the broth.
2/3 cup (100 g) chopped yellow bell pepper
2/3 cup (100 g) yellow corn kernels
For texture and flavoring (optional).

Let me know what you think! I hope you enjoy the crisp fall weather and I'll have another tutorial coming soon!

Warm soup and a cuddling blanket,

Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment